Keeba's Korner

KEEBA KORNERED & KAPTURED IN KAPTIVITY *** Includes articles from column, life experiences and various creative writing techniques of the life according to Keeba Smith - Hankered Writer and Feared Compressor. *** K Smith is an author, and social issues commentator. KSmith023@yahoo.com

My Photo
Name:
Location: Colorado, United States

I dont waste time with non-voters who are just menials-people who stand without meaning & contend to waste time with much success. As a child I never knew the sacrifices my parents faced while they intimated & provided for their children. Though they hinted they were lacking this and/or that, I can honestly say that we were never hungry, cold, or homeless but just the opposite. My parents were just that, real parents who took the time to teach right from wrong. They taught us to love and appreciate those in our lives and to be strong individuals. As the youngest of seven, I reminisce on the times all of us shared while growing up. Before the passing of both of my parents, I'm so glad I got the chance to express to them how I felt and my deepest gratitude of their love, value & foundation of respect and responsibility. It is & it is not because of them who I am as well as it is and is not because of them who I am not-God has given them to me-not me them. I have strength.

Favorable Links:

Monday, January 01, 2007

It Is Winter Time



It's winter time

In 1966, just two days before Christmas, a pregnant woman was walking to the bus stop to continue her Christmas shopping for her children. While on her journey, she slipped and fell on some ice and immediately was rushed to the hospital to deliver what may or may not be her bundle of joy.

I am one who just enjoys cold weather. Perhaps it is because I was either born during or right after a snow storm; either or, I truly love it.

Growing up in Denver, I have witnessed and enjoyed many light snowfalls and snow storms and have had very few complaints while facing the elements. Its winter and usually during the winter months, it snows.

Some scientists have reported that winter is caused by the Earth being farther from the Sun and thus, there is winter, while others report that in the Northern Hemisphere, winter occurs when the Earth is its closest to the Sun. I am not a scientist but am certain that winter means cold and a chance for snow.

Many of my relatives, friends and Colorado natives are aware that during the winter months, it snows and are also aware that Colorado can be a tad fickle when choosing when and when not to allow the cold fluff to fall from the skies. I almost always expect it to snow by Halloween night and I almost always expect snow from October through February and/or March. It is wintertime and I can not help but to expect snow. However, just because I expect it, does not always means that it will, nonetheless, it is common for winter and snow to go hand in hand. It’s life.

While Googleing the reason or makings of snow, I have found two explanations. The easy definition is explained as snow is frozen water that falls from the sky and all snowflakes have six sides, but no two snowflakes are the same. And a harder explanation is explained as: Snow is precipitation in the form of small white ice crystals and snow is formed from the water vapor in the air at a temperature of less than 32 degrees Fahrenheit. Furthermore, scientists report that winter is a time where the ground is put to sleep and is Mother Nature’s way of healing the ground. Cool huh?

I’m not a scientist, but am keenly aware that snow is not always beautifully enjoyed. As a child it was neat when it snowed like crazy because the roads were closed and hence the schools declared it a snow-day. Whew, those were the good old days for the children - a chance for us to get in some extra playtime. Alternatively, those days may not have been so great for our parents as I’m sure they needed a break from the loud noises those snow-days would bring. So, when our toys became the usual humdrum and we weren’t so gladly received at home, there was nothing else for us to do but dress in the warmest of garments, grab snow shovels and begin our frost-like journey. We would walk for what seemed like hours knocking on doors in search of work. Do kids still do that today?

Back then, it was a fantasized venture, but today, it is something else. As adults, we are expected to show up for work come rain or snow, heavy traffic or colicky children. No matter what, our employers anticipate seeing our faces and if not, are willing to hire someone who is more reliable at any occasion - a new face. Heck, I recall working in a cold warehouse while suffering a terrible cold. Would I dare call in sick? Heck no, well, only if I wanted to be replaced. Remember that I love cold weather and I shouldn’t have a problem with it, but I have.

I remember driving up Colfax Avenue at a mere speed of 20 miles per hour when the light changed from green to a quick yellow and then dead red. I pumped my breaks to stop. But wait, my car wasn’t stopping but instead kept rolling into the intersection where a thousand ton 18-wheeler was approaching. Was I scared? Well, lets just say I’m glad I used the bathroom before leaving the house.

Another time, my employer closed the office early due to a heavy snowstorm and there I was slowly driving down York Street when a red jeep jumped in my path. Again, I pumped my brakes, but nothing but the curb would stop my wheels from rolling. At the time, I believed I uttered an obscenity, but today, I can not recall if I paid a visit to the ladies room prior to leaving work.

Yes, over the years, I’ve had some good and bad times with the snow, but nothing beats the time I was all dolled up for a date. Yes, child, you should have seen me. I had on this little cute outfit and I assumed that I was dress to kill until I stepped outside and wham! I fell on my buttocks so hard I could see stars. (No exaggeration.) I was no longer dressed to kill, but was about to be killed.

Most Coloradoans will never forget the "Blizzard of 82." I was still in high school at the time, but I will never forget the effects on the State. Everything from the schools, the majority of most businesses and all transportation ceased operation. The only businesses that were open, were those who had gotten stranded there and had no choice but to continue serving a handful of customers. Many vehicles and people were stranded and my dad and I spent hours shoveling snow. It was a time that I’ll never forget. And if I can remember, it was reported that many babies were conceived at that time, so I suppose some people were busy doing something other than wrestling with a blizzard.

In 2003, my spouse and I woke up to a winter wonderland. Yes, it was winter! We did not own a snow blower, so we just manually shoveled snow. We shoveled at 5:00 AM and then again at 9:00 AM. And after a few hours, the ground was covered again, so we shoveled some more. Then, my husband had a wise idea to venture out. (Bad, bad idea!) We drove to his place of employment and low and behold, we were stuck. Hmmm, who would have thought? While we disagreed to disagree some more, we got into a fight while attempting to remove the massive amount of snow from underneath my tires. Nothing seemed to work, so one of us had a bright idea to put my beautiful, expensive sweater underneath the tires. Hold on! As I reminisce this un-treasured moment, I can only say that this winter snow and my ruined sweater is what one might deem grounds for divorce. Well, I got so mad, that I buttoned up my coat and braced myself for a long winter-walk home. I was cold as winter-Alps. My nose had snot coming out and yes, I was cold and yes, I was madder than mad. It was a long cold winter walk home.

My husband and I were watching the news and the weatherman said it was going to snow. Yes, it’s December 2006, and usually Coloradoans can expect snow during this winter month. The news reporters stated that an outgoing flight had been cancelled as well as one incoming flight.

"Wow," I said. "It must be serious as the airport is already canceling flights before the snow."

During the night, the snow fell and the white fluff covered the ground so my husband and I went out to shovel. A few hours would pass, and we would shovel some more. In all, I suppose he and I shoveled a little more than 6 to 7 feet of snow, which is not an easy task. My neighbors would watch us out there shoveling, but no one enjoys the backbreaking art of removing snow, but it has to be done and we see no reason to allow it to pile up, but it does.

Snow in the wintertime is nothing new to Colorado.






When my husband and I came in from a bout of shoveling for the fourth time, we could see the Governor and Mayor on television talking about snow removal. Both government officials asked that people stay off the streets until the snow was removed.

People don’t listen. On the other hand, perhaps they don’t know it’s snowing and/or not aware as to how much or how heavy this "Blizzard" is going to be. I’m not sure as I hate to discern the knowledge of others. For whatever reason, I just assume that everyone is a lot smarter than me and if I know, then they do too. (Does everyone watch the news or at least the weather folks?)

During the first "Blizzard of 2006", people complained that the Mayor didn’t do enough to remove the snow. During and after the two "Blizzards", people complained that their flights were cancelled. People have complained that the City should have removed the snow in front of their home. It is not a main route, but these people wanted the snow removed – immediately! Today, I read a comment from someone who is mad at the Rocky Mountain Newspaper for not delivering their newspapers. The best complaint of all, was those who complained that the snowplows finally came, but made too much noise. Lord, help us!

My husband and I are both lazy, so we pay extra to have the newspaper placed at our front door instead of delivered at the end of the driveway. Guess what. The Duran’s were unable to deliver the paper to the front door the morning after the "Blizzard," however they did deliver it the day after. We are lazy, but we did shovel both the sidewalk and driveway and all the way out into the street. We didn’t need anything from the stores, but did venture out to Wal-Mart. We did what we normally would have done and that was making good of a somewhat bad situation. (It’s a good thing he didn’t want to drive to his job.)







Lets say that governor Owens, mayor Hickenlooper, DIA and the like, didn’t do anything to cease operation of the City. Lets just assume that they remained calm about the "Blizzard" and someone was killed. Worse, if a plane filled with passengers and workers were killed. Would the complainers still flap their gums in disgust? Shoot, normally, the people have to wait until something bad happens before the government even considers taking precautions.

I was not stranded at DIA or on the road, but I was stuck at home. The roads were closed, so I was unable to visit family, go to the mall, out to eat or the movies. Due to the road closures, it was reported that the snow would give us no place to go.

Who knew it was going to snow? I didn’t. The meteorologist only learned of it a few days before the rest of us, so he/she did their job.

For the folks visiting Colorado for the first time, now you know. For the Colorado natives, well you knew, but ignored it or thought you were super bad and ventured out anyway and now seeking a scapegoat. For you gum flappers, don’t blame the government folks, or meteorologists. Don’t blame the government for not removing the snow faster as I’m almost certain they did everything in their power to keep you quiet; please, they are seeking reelection or another government seat. Therefore, do you think they need your complaints? Please, they can not necessarily purchase more equipment as there isn’t any bodies to operate them. (You can blame that on the Village Idiot.) Meteorologists aren’t gods, they are just normal human beings reporting what they feel to be true. (At least that’s my thought anyway.)

Its wintertime and often times during the winter, it snows.

The next time you’re stranded on the road during a "Blizzard," be thankful that you’re safe and not stranded underneath the snow, hurt, bleeding and suffering. Yes, you have to use the bathroom, but I’m sure you could find some relief. Yes, you’re hungry, but imagine if you were homeless and do not have a television or radio to be warned of a "Blizzard." I’m sure the vagrants had it worse than any of you. And those of you who are upset that the plows didn’t come down your street. Well, the homeless folks live in the streets and I’m sure they would have loved to have the streets cleared, let alone a nights rest under a warm roof. For those stranded at DIA, well, at least you were inside safe (on the ground) and not fearing for your life thousands of feet in the air during a "Blizzard."

Its wintertime and often times during the winter, it snows.

I remember the winters when we didn’t get much snow at all and then when the summer heat scorched our lawns, we complained that there was a water shortage. Ya see, the time to blame the government folks is not during the wintertime, but during the summer months when they allow the Water Board to increase your bill; all because they can.

Next times choose your battles wisely. Moreover, remember the old adage, "Never miss a good opportunity to shut up." Remember Bill McNichols?


©Keeba Smith Hankered Writer and Feared Compressor K Smith is an author, and social issues commentator KSmith023@yahoo.com
www.keeba.org


***
Winter is one of the four seasons of temperate zones. It is the season with the shortest days and the lowest temperatures. In areas further away from the equator, winter is often marked by snow.
Depending on place and culture, what is considered to be the start and end of winter vary. Contemporary
meteorology takes winter to be the months of December, January, and February in the Northern Hemisphere and June, July, and August in the Southern Hemisphere. However, many cultures in Europe and East Asia consider winter to begin in November.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

<