Keeba's Korner

KEEBA KORNERED & KAPTURED IN KAPTIVITY *** Includes articles from column, life experiences and various creative writing techniques of the life according to Keeba Smith - Hankered Writer and Feared Compressor. *** K Smith is an author, and social issues commentator. KSmith023@yahoo.com

My Photo
Name:
Location: Colorado, United States

I dont waste time with non-voters who are just menials-people who stand without meaning & contend to waste time with much success. As a child I never knew the sacrifices my parents faced while they intimated & provided for their children. Though they hinted they were lacking this and/or that, I can honestly say that we were never hungry, cold, or homeless but just the opposite. My parents were just that, real parents who took the time to teach right from wrong. They taught us to love and appreciate those in our lives and to be strong individuals. As the youngest of seven, I reminisce on the times all of us shared while growing up. Before the passing of both of my parents, I'm so glad I got the chance to express to them how I felt and my deepest gratitude of their love, value & foundation of respect and responsibility. It is & it is not because of them who I am as well as it is and is not because of them who I am not-God has given them to me-not me them. I have strength.

Favorable Links:

Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Juneteenth



Juneteenth means something different for my family; it was my mother’s birthday. As a young child, my mother had thought that the big commotion was a celebration of her birthday, and when she learned it was not, she said she felt overlooked on a day that was special to her. When she told us this, we decided to make the day special - just for her. She said that was then and this is now, however we wouldn’t hear anything of it. We would bake a cake or have one specially made, either or, a larger assemblage of friends and family would come together to celebrate the life of a much appreciated woman. We had barbecue ribs, chicken, hamburger, hotdogs - the works.

Now that my mother is at peace, we are in memorial of a special day of a woman who meant so much to us. We do not celebrate the dead but give thanks to the life she gave and shared with so many.

Here in the Mile High City, Juneteenth is not widely celebrated in the community as the former site has been taken over by big businesses that do not have any desire to view a bunch of Urban folk celebrating a day that commemorates their freedom. There are two small (brief) crowds of people who come together to celebrate, but it is not the same. …. I will not elaborate, but have accepted the day as my mother’s birthday.

Happy Juneteenth to all who celebrated and to the rest….



©Keeba Smith
Hankered Writer and Feared Compressor
K Smith is a columnist, an author, and social issues commentator

KSmith023@yahoo.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

<