Keeba's Korner

KEEBA KORNERED & KAPTURED IN KAPTIVITY *** Includes articles from column, life experiences and various creative writing techniques of the life according to Keeba Smith - Hankered Writer and Feared Compressor. *** K Smith is an author, and social issues commentator. KSmith023@yahoo.com

My Photo
Name:
Location: Colorado, United States

I dont waste time with non-voters who are just menials-people who stand without meaning & contend to waste time with much success. As a child I never knew the sacrifices my parents faced while they intimated & provided for their children. Though they hinted they were lacking this and/or that, I can honestly say that we were never hungry, cold, or homeless but just the opposite. My parents were just that, real parents who took the time to teach right from wrong. They taught us to love and appreciate those in our lives and to be strong individuals. As the youngest of seven, I reminisce on the times all of us shared while growing up. Before the passing of both of my parents, I'm so glad I got the chance to express to them how I felt and my deepest gratitude of their love, value & foundation of respect and responsibility. It is & it is not because of them who I am as well as it is and is not because of them who I am not-God has given them to me-not me them. I have strength.

Favorable Links:

Saturday, March 11, 2006

"Delusional" Response



Odd, but I had no idea that I would receive so many responses to my article,
Consequently, I assumed (and yes, I did make a butt of myself), that I would get away with voicing my surmise with little conviction and be rendered without malice. Yes, I wrote it in hopes that someone (anyone) would read and commen, but not with such fervor about my taste in music. I wrote it thinking that it was just another release that I could pass on sharing a little passion, a brief information about my beliefs on economic issues and the downfall. I wrote it because it was on my mind. Now, I did not write it because I needed an article to submit, but to share my feelings about the demise of a much needed radio station. (Needed, is my opinion as well as other listeners who tuned in.)

The feedback I received was most noted. They were both informative as well as humorous and interesting. Some of the comments were biased and scathing. Mind you, I was not distressed by these comments, but rather surprised in which they derived. You see some of these comments were from non-Blacks as well as from people of color and/or Black folk and/or African Americans. Please note that I am not sure as to what we are calling or identifying ourselves as - people of color, Black folk or African Americans. (I have an article for Mr. Morgan Freeman’s comments as listed in the Denver Weekly News, which will be certainly shared at a later date.)

Again, not all of the comments received were bad, but luckily, someone was kind enough to provide a website for former listeners to post their comments. I have not had a chance to view all of them, but if interested, the link is posted
.

Nevertheless, I will address those who voiced their disgust to my statements in my article. First, let me say with all sincerity, I apologize for any discomfort Delusions that are forced to appear real may have caused. If it caused you to quit your job, go out and find another job, tear up the entire newspaper, (which by the way, wasn’t your newspaper, but borrowed/stolen from your neighbor’s driveway.) I promise not to inform the authorities of your act (illegal or otherwise.)

Secondly, my brain took a leave of absence and because it is against the law for my employers to inform you of my welfare, that was not passed on to my faithful, loveable readers.

Thirdly, my employers stood over me with whips and chains forcing me to write something -anything - about the latest effect on Black, red, green and some white folk. Oh, and just in case you did not already know, I am not into the whips-n-chains thingy, when it’s outside the bedroom. And especially when it’s performed by not only men, but women of color who have non-Black sponsors.

Fourthly, my brain took a leave for absent-mindedness. I could have sworn I had the linguistic rules in the write order in order to right well. And lastly, I do not make the rules of the news, I just attempt to report them, or at least something while the checks continue to roll in.


I write what I feel and/or what’s on my mind or thought for the day. Yes, I have several (2) articles to be released and various issues could be a factor as to what may or may not appear here. Consider, I am struck by a vehicle, my computer explodes, my brain takes another unnoted leave, my husband or lover keeps me handcuffed to the bed posts for too long, and/or Osama Bin Forgotten takes me hostage, etc. However, I don’t think the latter would ever occur as many Black folk feel that the leaders of Al Qaeda does not want any of us. If that is true, I certainly thank God as I know no one would put up a ransom or negotiate for my release from the Talibam; especially my spouse and/or secret lover.


Okay, now honestly, why did the radio station change to Willie 92.5? Rumor has it that the 92.5 Jammin crew did not have a clue that they would be fired. In addition, rumor has it that there was a buzz flying about that the radio station would be changed to a new format. And if that is true, it might make sense as to why there weren’t many commercials but just straight music; forgetting about their paid sponsors. Heck, I don’t know. But, I will tell you this: I have found two new radio stations to tune in to: as well as .

I mention both of these not to prove how eclectic I am when it comes to music, but to let you know that there are still a few good radio stations out there. I was an avid listener of "Jammin 92.5" because it was the oldies but the goodies of an era that I grew up on. It was mostly what the offspring of the 60’s considered Soul Music. We had Al Green, Teddy P, EWF along with the AWB and KC and the Sunshine Band. Let us face it, they played it for us youngsters who could still remember when and what. And as as Edith and Archie once sang, “Those were the days!”

Back then, my sisters played plenty of Barry White and Aretha Franklin while my brother’s small radios and LP’s kicked out the occasional Hall N Oates. By the way, my brother’s favorite was and still is, "Sarah." My God, the boy loved the song so much, that he named his daughter after that song. Sheesh! But I suppose that it is no worse than wanting Van Halen to be my boyfriend or pretending that I was the Black Pat Benatar with a strong sweet sultry voice of Roberta Flack’s melodies.

Back then, I thought Rap Musical Lyrics was just a bunch of noise, and NWA were just troubled youth. However, when my mind was closed, I would have never learned that Tupac was the best poetry writer that ever walked this earth and delivering powerful messages. Least I forget the messages from Dr. Dre and Snoop Dogg who delivered "Lil Ghetto Boy." In addition, Public Enemy’s "Fight The Power."


As the years would come and go, my youngest brother and I were turned on to some soft rock and back then, there was a different definition of pop music. I can only guess as to why we were converted and our listening style became diverted to the likes of Queen, Bon Jovi and Genesis. The schools we attended caused us to listen to folk music as well as perform folk dances. I can still do the Irish Stutter (Step) and Square Dance with the best of them. I know how to do-si-do and swing to the left while my partner swings to the right and then my partner behind me.



Meet her by the right in the middle of the hall;
corner by the left;
back to your partner with a do-si-do, back to your corner with a do-si-do;
now swing that partner one little whirl and send her away for the corner girl.
Tell me I didn’t know my stuff! We consulted and gravitated to Ludwig Wittgenstein and other philosophical geniuses along with World Atlas studies, Encyclopedias, National Geographic, and other cultural literature. I suppose it had something to do with our peers, change in atmosphere, OUR society and surroundings. Heck, I don’t know. Just that our approach was different and we easily and gracefully embraced it. (With an o p e n mind.)

Perhaps I was not clear, and what some may have not made note of was because of 92.5’s format change, I blame the change in the economy and the lack thereof. I believe the former managers had no control over the lack of funds to keep the radio going and thus Willie 92.5 was born.


Back in the day, we were forced to endure the scratchy sounds coming from KDKO AM with Dr. Daddy-O's voice barely being heard. Those days are outdated-a thing of the past of AM to FM radio. No longer do we have a Black owned radio station and in my opinion, there is a reason for it. No, not racism and no, because a Black man/woman cannot get a loan to develop one. I just believe there is a reason for it and that only Blacks can understand. Again, it is not racial, just a Black thing.

Nonetheless, I believe those disgruntled comments could have been saved for something more effective. Lets say something like um, writing a letter to your Congress man/woman regarding the current effects on the economy; increased electricity bills, groceries, gasoline, etc. You could have used some of that energy by spending time with your kids. And yes, I can tell some of you have kids because they were just screaming in the background of your letters. You could have spent your time and energy cleaning your house as your comments just reeked of filth. Shame on you, writing letters of discontent when you could have written a novel and gotten paid for it. Perhaps if you were more alert as to how the government has changed your credit card expenses and how you are planning to pay for all of those Christmas gifts that were purchased on the plastic, you would have spent your time on YOUR future. That alone would have or should have made you more cautious of your time and energy. Not only would you have more money, but also more time that could have been spent wisely. Moreover, have you even considered the economic proposal for this nation, the retirement of
, his replacement and the effects on this nation as well as abroad?

Just to note, the unemployment rate was unchanged in November at 5.0 percent. The jobless rate has ranged between 4.9 and 5.1 percent since May. The number of unemployed persons, 7.6 million, was essentially unchanged in November. The unemployment rates for adult men (4.3 percent), adult women (4.6 percent), teenagers (17.2 percent), whites (4.3 percent), and Hispanics or Latinos (6.0 percent) showed little or no change in November. The jobless rates for blacks (10.6 percent) and, specifically, for adult black women (9.1 percent), rose over the month. In November, the unemployment rate for Asians was 3.6 percent - not seasonally adjusted.

Please do not get me wrong as I value your comments, which held some validity and perhaps will allow me to grow as a reader and writer. However, it will not make me more conscious of my surroundings and as my disclaimer clearly states, I am not responsible what wizardry-sorcely act my magical PC distributes. Furthermore, I will not stop writing what I deem important to me. Heck, I could die today and no one would know (or perhaps even care) that I was so strong or adamant about this thing or that. So I will not, I can not apologize. In the future, I can only suggest that you spend your time more wisely and try doing something for your community; pay attention to yours and your family’s future. In the mean time and in the between time, I can only hope and pray that both you and my brain are transformed and enlightened the next go around.

In short, here is my flimsy yet sincere apology to those that were offended and sing, Something so strong could (Should) carry us away…. I’m still in love with you. With that note, I leave you with my favorite Country tune from Lil' Troy’s album, "Sittin Fat Down South,"
.

To say the least, I want to thank you as I am glad someone, ANYONE reads my articles.


©Keeba Smith






Hankered Writer and Feared Compressor
K Smith is a columnist for Black Denver Speaks, an author, and social issues commentator

KSmith018@hotmail.com




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

<